Sunday, August 12, 2018

Another Explosion Box & Tutorial


I recently joined the JOANN Loves Papercrafters on Facebook.  I've been in awe of the creations that all of those talented people have, so I decided to be brave and post something I made.  I posted the Baby Exploding Box and I received so many wonderful compliments, it just made my heart full.  I also received requests for the directions, and since I had another one to make for another lady at work, I decided to get to work on it.

First, take a 12 x 12 piece of cardstock and score at 3 1/2 inches on each side.


Then, cut out the corner pieces.


Here comes the fun part, time to decorate and embellish!  One thing that I do that I think gives the box a bit more stability is to make double panels (or layers) of paper on the sides of the box.  Here you can see how I decorated the outside of the box.


Next, flip it over and decorate the inside.  I did the two layers of cardstock and then added some die cut doilies.  Since this is for a baby girl, I wanted to give it a lacey girly look.


Next, I made the lid.  Math is not my strong point, so I tend to do things the hard way.  My Dad is a retired Chemical Engineer, my Brother is CFO/CPA, my Sister is a Teacher, and my Mom can figure anything out!  So the technical gene, skipped me!  So, to make the lid I used a piece of white card stock and scored at 1 1/2 inches on two sides.  Now, if you measure the bottom of the box, you will find that it is 5 inches x 5 inches.  At the 1 1/2 score line, I measured 5 inches plus two little lines on the ruler, and then scored on that line.  Then I measured 1 1/2 inches and cut the paper.  Rotate the paper and do the same thing.  Clear as mud?!  You can also try cutting a piece of cardstock 8 1/8 inches and score it on each side at 1 1/2 inches.  You will want to notch the corners on lid so that it will fit inside with showing.

I decorated the top of the box, but forgot to take a picture of it before I put it all together!


I embellished the inside with some paper flowers, butterflies, and two cute babies I cut using my Cricut.  I put a tiny bit of adhesive on the bottom of the shoes to hold them in place.




I put the lid on the box, tied it with a tulle bow and put it next to my purse to bring to work tomorrow.

Supplies:
Stamps:  Papertrey Ink-Baby Button Bits
Ink:  Versafine
Paper:  Bazzill, The Paper Studio, Recollections, Pebbles
Misc:  Tulle, Scor-pal, paper punches, half pearls, pop up dots, My Favorite Things Oval Doily Die, Mama Elephant Mini Bow Die, baby shoes, Cheery Lynn French Pastry Doily Die

Thanks for stopping by,

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! It's wonderful and I'm sure anyone would love to receive one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through the JOANN Loves Papercrafters group. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm getting married in a week and think this would be a great box for the letter/gift I'll give my husband to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, and thanks for stopping by. More importantly, congratulations!!

      Delete