Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Chapstick Butterflies!


I had originally bought one Chapstick before Christmas to make one of these nifty gifts I found on Pinterest.  Make sure you check out Lori's blog, Mud Pie Studio, she has lots of neat ideas.

Needless to say, I didn't get to make those tags, so I decided to something a little "Eastery" and a little "Springy".  I used this one for my inspiration and went from there to make my own.


I recently bought the monthly subscription for the Cricut Image Library.  I have been having a blast with it,and cutting up a storm!  I would see all of these cute things I wanted to make, but I didn't have the cartridges or there would be only one thing on the cartridge that I wanted.  Not to mention, the cost of all of those cartridges, money is tight for a lot of us, so this is really a good option.  I decided to go with the monthly option at just $9.99 a month.  So far, I've made Mardi Gras decorations for work, cut a bazillion words and numbers because I have all of the fonts now (Whoo Hoo!) and these butterflies.

Using the Cricut Craft Room, I made a few adjustments to the butterfly cut.  It's from Create A Critter, which I have wanted for a very long time, and now I have it!  I added a middle layer of vellum.  I'm really into using up scraps these days, so this is the perfect project for just that.



Here you can see the vellum layer a little easier.  I just cut the butterflies out, layered them, and then sewed up the center so the layers would stay together better.  I punched holes with my Crop-A-Dile on either side of stitched line then thread some baker's twine through the holes.  Just so the Chapstick wouldn't slide around, I added a little snail adhesive on the stitched line and then tied the baker's twine into a pretty bow.  The layers were fluffed up a little and it was done.



These would look really cute in an Easter basket or as party favor.  They can stand up, I just didn't get a picture of it!  It's a nice non-candy treat that any age lady would enjoy!


Target has some special Chapsticks in with their Easter basket fillers section.  You could use any type of lip balm for this project.


Supplies:
Paper:  American Crafts, Recollections, MME
Misc:  Cricut, Create A Critter digital cartridge, baker's twine, Chapstick, sewing machine, Crop-A-Dile

Thanks for stopping by,



No comments:

Post a Comment